St. Mark's Basilica is the symbol of Venice, home of the ducal chapel of the patriarch. The first construction of a church in the area dates back to 820, but it was not until around 1094 that the current structure came to light, which was then continuously updated until at least the end of the 1200s.
Describing the Basilica satisfactorily is almost impossible. It is characterised by a Greek cross design with 5 domes; it is a place where Byzantine elements and the interior's golden mosaics blend with elements of Western architecture. Outside its famous chariot of horses can be noted, which come from the Hippodrome of Constantinople.
Thanks to its brick colour and the fact that it stands alone, St. Mark's Bell Tower stands out: almost 99 metres tall, with different styles from different periods, it completes the classic Venetian postcard.